Sunday, September 11, 2011

Day of Remembrance



For those of us in the USA, today is a solemn day. It has been ten years since the 9/11 terrorist attack. For those of us who were alive on that day and old enough to remember, it is something one can never forget. The images. The fear. The questions. They are all a bit of blur to me now, one image blending into another then blending into another. 


One personal memory is strong. I live in a military community--Bellevue, Nebraska where Offutt Air Force Base is located.  I remember listening to the radio as I drove to work in Omaha & hearing about a plane crashing into one of the Twin Towers. With shame now,  I remember a feeling of irritation as I was thinking "oh great, that's all that will be on TV tonight..." When I arrive at work,  I learn a second plane has hit the other tower and this is more than just a tragic accident.   I worked part time, so as I was driving home in the early afternoon, along the interstate which exits to my house, I was struck by all the police cars. Could something be happening in my military community?  Shortly after that, I went to my son's middle school. As I my younger children and I waited in our van, we saw a plane flying overhead. What? How can that be? All the planes have been grounded.  I later learned it was President Bush, leaving Offutt Air Force Base. I felt so personally touched being both so close and yet so far to the tragedy.  Witness to an historical event. The police patrol as President Bush was at  Offutt Air Force Base,  literally "down the street" from where I lived-- less than a half mile.  Witness to the President's exit from Offutt and back to Washington D.C. 


My thoughts and prayers go out to all those families whose lives were touched by this national tragedy.  I know I will always remember. 


Deb

1 comment:

  1. Hi Deb,
    Memories of this day ten years ago are strong here in Australia too. Though we are so geographically distant from the US, it was a powerful reminder of how fragile life can be and that we should not be complacent, but live a worthwhile and thankful life.
    Hugs, Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts!